Monday, January 27, 2014

I don't know about you, but I want LESS...



Each New Year I try to congratulate myself for another year well lived and envision resolutions that will help me improve. This task can be somewhat overwhelming. So this year all of my goals are for less. I feel overwhelmed, overstimulated and out of balance most of the time, so this year I just want less…
1)Less comparing myself with others. I’ve never been able to do this without coming out on the bottom.
2) Less self-defeating self talk. I am not very kind to myself. The things I share in my head would never be said to a friend.


3) Less resistance to change. Change is the only thing that is a constant. I want to be more zen when faced with changes, especially the ones that are unexpected or that I find less desirable.
4) Less regret. To regret something means we remain in the past, never able to move on. It’s true I’ve said and done things that I wish had played out differently but once I’ve said I’m sorry there is very little I can do but move on. Continuing to regret just keeps me making negative, self-defeating comments to myself.
5) Less anger. While I’m not normally an angry person, I just want less of that. My mantra this year is to recognize that because someone is “for” themselves it doesn’t mean they are against me. We all have different motivators. Sometimes the “fall-out” or consequence of someone being “for” themselves will make my life difficult. I choose not to believe that was their goal.
6) Less worry. Things will usually turn out the way they turn out no matter how much I worry. Worry just sets me up for anxiety. I would rather enjoy the sunset for the sunset’s sake than to worry that it won’t be as glorious tomorrow.

7) Less excuses. Own it. Sometimes you will say the wrong thing. Sometimes you will not perform the way that is expected. Okay, my bad, now move on.
8) Less need to impress others. It has been my experience that most people are not paying enough attention to anything outside themselves to notice anyhow.
9) Less control. I want to fly by the seat of my pants more. Have more spontaneity and more last minute adventures.
10) Less food. Seriously, we are the most under nourished, over fed people in the history of the planet. There is so much excess and abundance. And if you really need a doughnut, it will be available tomorrow. 

11) Less expectation. No one else is responsible for my happiness. They don’t have to “get me”. I am the master of my own mood.
12) Less television, newsfeeds, facebook, pinterest. Truth is, I’d rather read. Neither of my parents were schooled passed the 12th grade until later in life, but education was so important to both of them. They told me if I could read, I could do anything. That is the best advice I ever received and it continues to serve me and bring me joy to this day.

And my wish for you is that you may find less this year as well. Happy 2014.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I love it! I want less too:)