Wednesday, August 3, 2011

10 things....

As prompted by http://www.mamakatslosinit.com/ I will list the 10 things I wish I had known about blogging back when I started....1) Avoid gimmicks; I think I've used them all from slideshows, to the playlist (it's still here, but I think it's days are numbered.) They just slow down your blog and who wants to wait?
2) Don't pigeon hole yourself; When I started the blog I thought my life's ambition was to take really great pictures. It still is...but it's not my whole life, I also have a family and a profession and I love to write so all of those things encroach on my not so generalized blog name.
3) Your audience is bigger than your follower roll. There are plenty of people out that stop by and visit but never leave a comment. Instead they leave wiser, or happier or maybe sadder because of your post. They just lerk or stalk in the background, because once you share it, it's really out there.
4) Change is inevitable; You will probably notice a number of changes if you check back very often. I'm adding a page about my adventure at sea. It only holds one post so I have to create a new post with just my favorite highlights from serving aboard the U.S.N.S. Comfort. And there is a new about me page, hmmm maybe you can make some suggestions...what do you want to know about me?

5) Comments are nice but not essential. A blog helps you connect with a greater universe of people than you can find at your local grocery store. It opens up your world but only if you participate. Lerking is good, stalking is better but commenting is a connection. It's been my experiance if I take the time to comment and let others know that I am connecting with them, then they choose to comment and connect with me.
6) You will embarrass your children. It's a given. Just go with it. I've had lots of practice and I'm getting better at it everyday.

7) Write for yourself. You really are the only one that matters and it's the only way you can be authentic. If everybody is entitled to 15 minutes of fame, this is like your first 30 seconds. So relish it.
8) Be consistant; Say something everyday, or every tuesday or every month. If readers expect you to update your blog and you don't do that very often. They lose interest and they stop stalking you. Everyday blogging is of course the best, but it's hard to do. Especially if you have a family, a job, a cat, a dog, a photography business, some limited interest in exercising etc.

9) As often as possible, post what you know. Learn something new, so you "know" something new and share it with all of the people that check out your blog. Make it a judgement free post, after all whether something is a weed or a flower, mostly depends on whom you ask.
10) Relax! The more you can go with the flow, accept change and adjust, the more you will enjoy blogging. And the more others will enjoy following your blog. Whew! Enough said... and now stay tuned for more changes in the future.....

11 comments:

Georgia said...

You always give good advice, Lisa. Thanks for writing these 10 great thoughts about blogging. I'm going to try to implement them into my own blog.

I've got to ditch my playlist, but I've already been writing for myself. I don't use enough photos (especially now that I've lost my camera).

I defiantly need to be more regular in my posts. Perhaps I'll write one now...

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

Excellent tips! I will confess that I'd brought up a bunch of blogs to visit and your playlist started and I had to frantically flip through the tabs and scroll to get it to stop... :)

Catching the Magic said...

LOVE number 3, 6 and 7!

Great points!

Karen and Gerard said...

I post things we learned each week every Friday.

Stopping by from writer's workshop: http://zemeks.blogspot.com/2009/10/hubby-to-rescue.html

kisatrtle said...

This is great advise and though I know that comments really aren't crack I need them

Adrienne said...

Great list! I love what you said about connection and about writing for yourself. I was just telling a good friend this weekend that I've figured out why I'm blogging... and the answer is, simply, because I love to write! My space in the blogosphere is something I do for me, and I love when other's stop by! {like you did today from Mama Kats!}

Tiffany said...

"1) Avoid gimmicks; I think I've used them all from slideshows, to the playlist (it's still here, but I think it's days are numbered.) They just slow down your blog and who wants to wait?"

Ah, yes! The good old playlist! If my speakers were turned on and I came across a blog with music on it, it wouldn't matter how good the entry is as I'm already ruined by the music. My focus has been turned away from the content on the page and instead directed to all the bells, whistles and pretty backgrounds. (Which, btw, your background is lovely and does NOT take away from your excellent post!)

As a former traveler via air, I can't wait to read about your sea adventures!!!

Cam said...

i really like the tip about learning something and sharing with your readers.

Deidre said...

These tips are great! I am always so impressed with people who post every day. I just don't have enough going on in my life to be able to "live enough content" to post every day!

Unknown said...

Great advice! And beautiful pictures.

Kerri said...

Fantastic! I'm always a day late and a dollar short on Mama Kat's workshops, but I'm really going to try to keep up. This was really great to read! Thanks!