Friday, June 10, 2011

Day 24; Oh no, the stench could be me.....

So I'm going to share some more photos from Peru, as well as a story. You may remember that being aboard the ship is loud. It is hearing loss, awaiting to happen. Every ping, bang, grind vibrates within the metal walls of the ship until it reaches a cacophony of noise. It is really, really LOUD. You can not at anytime here yourself think. So getting off the ship today, I get a 45 minute ride aboard a bus. It is the most comfortable I have been in over 3 weeks. It feels like a heavenly luxury.

I have a whole row all to myself, the padding just envelopes my tired, exhausted bones. It feels so good. There is a little quiet spanish rock radio station being played. No pings, bangs, grinds to assault my ears. I could nearly take a nap except for I want to record all the amazing sights outside the windows. Sights like these...


Crazy forms of transportation. I loved taking pictures of the little motorcycle cabs. They far out number any other form of transportation. And I'm guessing the rules of the road in Peru are if you are bigger you win. I loved seeing the bright colors everywhere. Even at the boat dock where we land....

And my favorite transportation...

No kidding, our tour bus shared the roadway with this mule cart and others like it.
So now for the story. I've mentioned multiple times about the stench of the squid. After returning from girls camp I can put that stench in a little better perspective. Go up in the mountains and find wet bark and kindling, add newspaper, alot of newspaper and other available wood, now light it up with matches. It will take alot of matches, use the whole book at once if you need too. You have just created a smoking odor producer, now stay in close proximity for about 3 days and nights. Now go home and shower and return to the clothing so you can smell a difference. Eww! I know. Now multiply that scent by 100x. You are now close to the stench of squid. After girls camp and laundering my denim, I could still smell smoke. Back to the laundry.
So this is the story. AFter being at the Peruvian Hospital all day, I was so looking forward to the ride back to the Naval Base where I would get to teach "Helping Babies Breathe". I had already seen the scenery so I could maybe get that heavenly 45 minute nap on the so luxurious bus. A different bus greeted us as we departed, but it looked very much the same so I was expecting a few precious moments in dream land. The first row I sat in had gold fish colored cracker crumbs in the seat and the seat did not smell very fresh. So I moved. The second seat I sat it smelt something like a wet dog, or maybe body odor, again not fresh, so I moved. The third seat had me envisioning a not washed human in a wife beater t-shirt on a really hot day somewhere in the south. Again , not fresh, so I moved. Okay, so let's establish that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer because when I got to the fourth seat, it also had an un-appealing odor. Okay, I give. The one that smells bad is probably me.

1 comment:

Georgia said...

I love your stories and the photos. It makes me almost feel like I was along for the ride.

We are certainly a blessed country with all of our conveniences and easy was of life. We don't have to worry or questions (too much) the amazing medical facilities and capable physicians we have access to any time we need it. Transportation is just too easy for us, we don't even think about how good we have it and putting gas in the tank is the only burden. Imagine keeping the burrow fed, healthy, corralled, etc. Yep! Life in the U.S. is absolutely wonderful. Thanks for the reminders!!