Sunday, November 25, 2012

Day 25; I'm grateful for new things.




 I have already confessed my obsession with all things pinterest. I get to check out all the things my family and friends pin as well as stalk strangers with common interests. I had no idea that I was a "closet foodie" until I started salivating over recipes on pinterest. Here is one of my most recent finds, with a few tweaks. I'm lazy, instead of pumpkin, solid & packed and then adding cinnamon and other seasonings, I just use Pumpkin pie mix, solid & packed. Saves me the steps of measuring cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.




Prep Time 15 Minutes
Cook Time 40 Minutes
Servings 24

Ingredients
  • 1 box (18 oz. size) Yellow Cake Mix, Divided
  • 1 whole Egg, Lightly Beaten
  • ½ cups Butter, Melted
  • 1 cup Sugar, Divided
  • 1 teaspoons Cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt
  • 1 cup Canned Pumpkin pie mix
  • ⅔ cups Evaporated Milk
  • 2 whole Eggs
  • ¼ cups Cold Butter, Diced
This recipe has three parts, a crust, a filling and a topping. Before you start anything, preheat your oven to 350F, and get out a 13×9 pan.
For the crust:
Reserve 1 cup of the cake mix for the topping. Pour remaining cake mix into a bowl, then stir in the one beaten egg and the 1/2 cup of melted butter until the mixture is well combined. Press evenly into the 13×9 pan and set aside.
For the filling:
Combine 3/4 cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, the ginger, cloves, salt, pumpkin, evaporated milk and 2 eggs together. Using a whisk, stir until smooth. Pour over the crust.
For the topping:
Stir together the 1 cup of reserved cake mix, and the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Cut in the 1/4 cup of butter dice using a pastry blender or a fork. Sprinkle evenly over the filling.
Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes, or until filling is set. Allow to cool completely, cut into bars, and serve!



And here are the pictures to prove I did it myself.




It was very well received at my last function requiring dessert. I had one 12 year old reported to being a "finicky" eater by his mother request 3 pieces.  I'd say that's a keeper. It can be improved with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Hope you have the same success I did. ;D

No comments: