Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Day 7

Day 7 I'm thankful for the telephone. I'm old enough that I can remember using a phone with a cord in the wall (no phone jack) that had that dial-y thing on the front. When I sent my first daughter away to college, she went without a cell phone. I could only reach her if she was ever at her apartment, which of course, she never was.
When I was first born my family moved to Germany. My mother was from an exceptionally small town. (One stop sign and running water) I think of how difficult it would have been for her to be away from her family. International calls would have been too expensive and the mail would have taken forever.
But because of the miracle of the phone, I got to talk to another one of my favorite people, Isaac. He called to find out how I voted in the recent election. At five years old, that is a very weighty subject. And as far as the election goes, I'm grateful to live in a country that allows me the freedom to choose. I don't have to like the choice but I have to have respect for all the people who have fought so I can have that right. Be grateful you have a phone and call someone today.

No comments: